Prev: Re: DS II Battle Report Next: Re: [FT] FSE Coloration

RE: DS II Battle Report

From: "Brian Bell" <bbell1@i...>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:04:55 -0400
Subject: RE: DS II Battle Report

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
[mailto:owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU]On Behalf Of David Griffin
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2001 2:35 PM
To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu

I'm not real familiar with Dirtside. Are combat
walkers like Battletech Mechs?

[Bri] Yes in design. A generic term for a vehicle that walks as the mode
of transportation.

If so, can mechs
stand up to tanks in DSII? If so, can you buy
mechs with the same points your opponent would
use to buy a force that can stand up to his, or
will he likely win?

[Bri] Mechs have good and bad points in DS2. The good points are
mobility and ability to see above low terrain. The bad points are that
they are easier to hit and more expensive.

In Battletech, the mechs usually win, partially
because it IS a mech game, so there has to be
some reason for fielding them. In a game like
dirtside, I'd almost expect them to encourage
regular tanks to discourage mechs a little.

[Bri] Correct.

Can you use battletech tanks in DSII or are they
the wrong scale?

[Bri] I would rate Battletech mechs at size 2-5 or 3-5 vehicles.

How about Renegade Legion grav
tanks? How about the regular modern tanks (M1A1's)
you see in the game store?

[Bri] Both work well. At GZGECC
(http://www.warpfish.com/jhan/ft/gzgecc/), Jon Davis ran a very nice DS2
game set in the Renegade Legion universe. In my collection of
1/285th-1/300th scale figures, I have Dirtside, Future Wars, Fortress
Figures, GHQ, Scotia, and Ogre miniatures. One of the NICE things about
GZG games is that you don't have to use thier figures.

Thanks, hope I don't sound TOO ignorant.

[Bri] Not at all!

---
Brian Bell
bbell1@insight.rr.com
ICQ: 12848051
AIM: Rlyehable
http://www.ftsr.org/ds2/
---

Prev: Re: DS II Battle Report Next: Re: [FT] FSE Coloration