Prev: Re: The United States in Full Thrust Next: Re: LLAR population was Re: The United States in Full Thrust

LLAR population was Re: The United States in Full Thrust

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 21:48:20 EDT
Subject: LLAR population was Re: The United States in Full Thrust

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 19:47:16 -0400 "Laserlight" <laserlight@quixnet.net>
writes:
>Note the changed subject heading.
>
>> Jon, it's your timeline **but** where did the masses of the LLAR
>merc's
>> come from?  Unless this was a very elite group led by the child of
>> Falkenberg's son and Hammer's daughter there are a big bunch of
>'mothers
>> of warriors' (to use a Cherokee term) out on the colonies breeding
>these
>> soldiers.  What did the LLAR do?  practice polygamy?
>
>good question, that.  My first take would be that the conquering NAC
>oppressors would probably let anyone go emigrate who wanted to, as
>long as they paid (or evaded) a punitive emigration tax--it's cheaper
>to ship them out than to hunt down guerillas.

Okay, that helps but somebody has to move them - LLAR perhaps as
indentured (short term) as less then cost (Gets those 'heroes of the
resistance' on a colonial planet hating the NAC and under 'observation'
until their loyalty is proven.	Besides somebody has to terraform, no?

>   And LLAR colonies would probably have very open immigration
>policies, at least for a while.   Some of the worlds may have a Latino
>ruling class with the lower and middle classes all being Sinhalese,
>Angolan, Laotian etc.

*WHOA*, I am lost.  Where in South America is there a significant number
of "... Sinhalese, Angolan, Laotian etc...." - oh wait, got it.  First
you import The 'assorted' peons then bring in the Latino vets as
police/militia, etc....  Okay, maybe that way would work.

>  And who knows, maybe polygamy is legal in LLAR space.  If the
>soldiers are all male (which I can see, from what I know of Latino
>culture), and you have to serve a term before you marry, then there
>will be somewhat fewer available males than females.  Women stay and
>run the businesses and the banks, men go offplanet and serve the army.
>Men would want more wives because there's more wealth; women would
>want the prestige and political openings available to a successful
>commander.

Well, I was joking, but *if* you can get Nuevo Roma to look the other
way... why not...

>   By the way, I'm not making this up--this is the way things worked
>in Europe for a while, a few hundred years ago.

 Sounds more Polynesian, Melanesian, micronesian to me - an OU factoid
we
have been missing?

Glenn/Triphibious

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: The United States in Full Thrust Next: Re: LLAR population was Re: The United States in Full Thrust