Prev: Re: The United States in Full Thrust Next: Re: The United States in Full Thrust

Re: The United States in Full Thrust

From: "Don M" <madd@v...>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 17:49:44 -0500
Subject: Re: The United States in Full Thrust

----- Original Message -----

> >Okay, did the LLAR move the majority of the population to space
colonies?
> > They had the tech and resources and will power to do that but they
> >couldn't hold South America??  The Homeland?  While it plays well
into my
> >setting, it doesn't hold water to me in a logical sense.  Yes, I
*too* am
> >nitpicking here...  Seems to be the thing to do today.
>
> No, they didn't move the population en masse - probably just the
leaders
> and most of the high-ranking military, along with whoever else had the
> money to go (ie industrialists, business leaders etc).... I think this
> would leave the general populace and the remains of the armed forces
in
> enough disarray that the NAC could complete the "subdueing" of the
masses
> left behind.

I have to agree.  There's a big disparity between the upper class and
lower
class in the future LLAR.  Leadership and education are concentrated in
very small class (relative to population) and if that population
absented
itself, there would be very little left to do.

That, and the fact that futuristic sensor and transportation technology
is
going to make Sendero Luminoso-style organizations hiding in the hills
very
vulnerable.  It's also a good outlet for all those disgruntled
ex-'Mericans.

Prev: Re: The United States in Full Thrust Next: Re: The United States in Full Thrust