Prev: Re: [OT] space cats... Next: RE: FT - No initiative simultaneous fire

RE: FT - No initiative simultaneous fire

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 07:13:24 -0400
Subject: RE: FT - No initiative simultaneous fire

In the Operation Avalanche game we seperated the ship-to-ship fire into
"Fire Phases". In a normal game, a fire phase would be 1 ship firing. In
OA,
a Fire Phase allowed a Fire Group to fire in a Fire Phase. A Fire Group
would consist of 1 capital (Battlecruiser and above), 2 Cruisers (Light
Heavy Cruiser), or 3 Escorts (Hvy Destroyer and under).  You could also
fire
1 escort in place of a cruiser if you desired. Fire Groups were fluid,
and
could change each round. Inititive was rolled for each side. The winning
side got the 1st Fire Phase and then the Fire Phases alternated.

This helped bring the balance between the large ships and the small
ships
closer (not equal, but closer). This was a set scenario, so the numbers
of
large and small ships on each side was about equal.

If doing a 1-off, I would suggest giving a +1 on the inititive roll to
the
side with more ships. If the groupings are 2:1, then allow the side with
more ships to fire 2 groups to the other sides 1 group. If 3:1, then 3
groups to 1 group, etc. This does not necessarily fix a mixed group
fighting
an Uberdreadnought, but helps in most situations.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://www.ftsr.org