Prev: RE: [FT] PBLs Next: Re: [SG] Needle Weapons

Fw: SG2: Vehicles with turreted infantry weapons

From: "Robert W. Hofrichter" <RobHofrich@p...>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:15:55 -0400
Subject: Fw: SG2: Vehicles with turreted infantry weapons

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ted Arlauskas" <ted@naxera.com>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2001 1:04 AM
Subject: Re: SG2: Vehicles with turreted infantry weapons

> >Not thjat I want to but the referance was, was it not, to a weapon in
>  >turret - like a co-ax MG in today's turrets. Yes, three or even two
>  >seems a bit steep but if it is in a turret as a primary or secondary
>  >system, as I read the rules (and it's just IMO and somewhat
over-weighted
>  >also IMO) it's a 3 cap primary or a 2 cap secondary if it's in a
main
>  >turret as opposed to a pintle or remote mini-turret (lik the
commander's
>  >weapon in either an early M60 or possibly the Sheridan) mount. I
like
>  >your read better.
>
> That is what I was trying to get to.	How much space should a (fully)
> turreted APSW take up?  An extra APSW takes up 1 space and that's
> either stated or assumed to be pintle mounted.  My opinion is that a
> turreted APSW (ala my example of the Ferret or the LVTP or your
example
> of a commander's cupola mount) should take up no more than 2 spaces,
> and I could argue that it would only be 1.  An extra APSW on top of
that
> would be one additional space.
>
> For the example of the 40mm GL and the .50 HMG in the LVTP, I'd
> treat the HMG per the many examples folks have ginned up here on
> the List.  For the The GL I'd use the stats listed in the rule book
for
> the often overlooked and neglected infantry support Auto GL
> (FP:D12, IV:d8*).  I'd rule that both can't be fired together.
They're
> completely different weapon systems with different ballistics.  The
> gunner could only shoot them one at a time/activation.
>
> -Ted

Game-wise, what's the difference between a "remote mount' and a
"mini-turret" and a full turret when discussing APSW?  That's a
rhetorical
question, by the way.  There ain't none, to put it in the vernacular.
An
external pintel mount is different, but I always assumed that the
"remote
mount" was kind of like the old rear MG on the Marder (a remote-control
weapon mounted on the exterior of the vehicle, if my memory serves), and
mini-turret was like the commanders .50 cal. MG mount on the M-60 tank.
In
effect, a safe way for guys under armor to fire APSW without exposing
themselves.  So, for the M-2/Mk-19 dual mount on the AAV-7, a strict
reading
of the rules (both in DS2 and SG2) would give you a cost of 2 capacity
points.  Incidentally, since I use a "toy" AAV-7 vehicle(slightly
modified)
for my 25mm Stargrunt stuff (as a heavy UN APC), that's exactly what I
did.

For what it's worth.

Prev: RE: [FT] PBLs Next: Re: [SG] Needle Weapons