Prev: [SG2} - Figures Wanted Next: Re: 54mm FMASk, was Re: Just a thought

RE: Fighters and Defense

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 13:11:44 -0400
Subject: RE: Fighters and Defense

[Bri] Ahhh. This is outside of my experience. Unless within striking
range
of the target, I have not seen fighters within a base lenght of each
other
(except when one initiates a dogfight). But I do see you point.

> Multiple-group dogfights against interceptors are particularly lethal
> if the interceptors win initiative, since they then get to fire before
> the opposing fighters... and at an average ~7 kills for an undamaged
> interceptor squadron, it can ravage 2-3 opponent squadrons quite
badly.
> A squadron which has lost 2-3 fighters isn't very dangerous to ships
if
> you use the fighter morale rules.

[Bri] Except dogfight damage is SIMULTANEOUS (FT p.17). So the
Interceptors
will dish out more than what they receive, but will still take
substantial
damage.

> So, while I wouldn't expect a single interceptor squadron to
neutralize
> *6* enemy squadrons (I've seen it happen, but not too often), taking
> out enough fighters from 3 enemy squadrons to give them a significant
> chance of failing their morale checks *in a single attack* is fairly
> common IME.
>
> Regards,
>
> Oerjan Ohlson
> oerjan.ohlson@telia.com
-----End Original Message-----

My comments above marked by [Bri]

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://www.ftsr.org
-----

Prev: [SG2} - Figures Wanted Next: Re: 54mm FMASk, was Re: Just a thought