Prev: (FT) New Ship Miniatures Next: Re:Fighters, missiles in FT

Infantry mounting in 6mm

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 18:46:22 EDT
Subject: Infantry mounting in 6mm

From: dwarf_warrior@juno.com
To: 6mm-Miniatures@yahoogroups.com
Cc: ruthann_vanvranken@hp.com, Warbeads@juno.com, Triphibious@juno.com
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 18:24:43 EDT

Okay, 6mm fans, a question.  Now this is specifically relating to
Dirtside 2 but it applies in theory to any era where you get away from
line, column, square tactics.

I am mounting all my vehicles one to a stand with my larger/largest yet
vehicles (Eureka's new Grav Tank) on a 2" x 1 1/2" rectangle, the large
ones (Modern M1 by GHQ) and medium (various modern GHQ and modern/WW2
Scotia) vehicles on 1 1/2" x 1" with the small and smaller (name
forgotten - Scotia's modern French 90mm armed wheeled vehicles) on 1" x
3/4" stand.

Now, I have a bunch of H&R WW2 French and GHQ WW2 Brits plus some Future
Wars and Dirtside 6mm Infantry on order plus some Battle tech infantry
stuff (as large 'Mecha' style vehicles) to mount.  I am debating about
the infantry mountings.

The FW stuff comes 40 in a bag, IIRC, and the DSM stuff comes 24 (and
the
H&R and GHQ stuff I have in the basement and am too lazy to run down
from
upstairs to find out the exact numbers (48?? and 72??)) but the question
I have has to do with 'how' you mount them.

I am thinking of using 3/4" x 3/4" stands with 4-5 figures per stand for
fire teams (half squads.)  Now since this is representational mounting I
was thinking a variety of formations might be aesthetically pleasing.

Here's what i had sketched out:

5 per:

2-1-2 as on the five side of a die

'arrow head" - an inverted "V"

"V"

Skirmish line ( 0 0 0 0 0 )

2 up and three back  :	     0	    0
					  0	 0	0

3 up and two back (reverse of above)

Lazy "N" :	      0 		 0
				     0
			0		   0

and double column:	 0
				     0		 0

				     0		 0

The four man Fire Teams would be :

Box:	 0	 0
	     0	     0

Diamond:	 0
		       0      0
			    0
Line:	0 0 0 0

Column:   0
		   0
		   0
		   0

But will there be enough room on a 3/4" x 3/4' square or should I
increase the size of the base?	Or should it be rectangular?

I am looking to achieve a reasonable looking set of stands.  I realize
that you can't really reflect real tactical formations because the
future
will (even more then today) require distance between troops to avoid
getting multiple figures in the same 'beaten zone'  but this is a game
and mounting 6mm figures individually is a bit extreme, IMO.

Besides the DS2 rules call for fire teams to act as a unit (and on a
stand that means IMO.)	What size stand does the membership of this list
use for infantry in post-1938 games?  How many figures do you put on a
stand?	What is too many/too few on too large/too small a base in your
experience?

Yes, this is a bit over kill but I don't want to have to remount them
(even if they are 6mm) 6 months down the line because I failed to
consult
more experienced players and more experienced 6mm players in particular.
<grin>	Give me your words of wisdom...

Gracias, Dwarf Warrior.
This address is where I do my fantasy and most of
my 10/6 mm miniatures game activities.
Alternate: Triphibious@ juno.com (Science Fiction)
and warbeads@juno.com (Historicals.)  Axes Advance!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Prev: (FT) New Ship Miniatures Next: Re:Fighters, missiles in FT