Prev: RE: Cheese factor Next: RE: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

Re: Cheese factor

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 11:13:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Cheese factor

--- Jaime Tiampo <fugu@spikyfishthing.com> wrote:

> Right. I think that's what's come out of it. YOu
> have to have 3 platoons
> on the table to have a company commander.

Question:  Suppose you're deliberately running a short
company?  Of course, that would be a scenario
thing--especially if you're running a worn-down force
(the company has been hammered so badly that they
broke up 3rd PLT to fill out 1st and 2nd, or some
such).

I'm also interested in the "more regular infantry than
PA" comments.  Does this mean you would have a problem
with an TO&E that consolidated scarce suits of PA into
a single unit and stripped them out of everywhere
else?  NRE doctrine consolidates all PA and Grav Armor
into one Corps which is the 'counter-attack corps',
where the more defensively oriented units are all
regular infantry (albeit combat-armored) and tracked
vehicles.  So a Tagmatic infantry company is 3
platoons of powered armor and a command squad.

Of course, I also can't imagine running a scenario
where I'd _need_ more than a platoon of troops.  The
only time you'd catch NRE PA away from their vehicles
would be the drop infantry units and they are
generally veteran/elite.  Which means I still don't
need more than a platoon.  :)

> Now my question is who is the over all commander? If
> you only have 2
> platoons on the table who gets to be in charge? and
> if you select one of
> the platoon commanders at the over all commander
> shouldn't he be able to
> activate the other platoon commander?

You've always got _someone_ who's senior except in the
worst of situations.  But I probably wouldn't let them
activate other PLs.

John

Prev: RE: Cheese factor Next: RE: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense