Prev: RE: When does skirmish scale becomes battle scale? Next: Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

Re: WotD Laser Targeting

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 20:33:20 +0200
Subject: Re: WotD Laser Targeting

Derk Groeneveld wrote:

>>Today's laser warners, ie the ones included in the ECM suites of many
>>of today's modern MBTs, are pretty good at detecting both that you're
>>being lazed and the general direction the beam comes from. Accurate
>>enough to lay a smoke screen to cut the beam before the missile
arrives
>>unless the missile is almost at the target when the beam is switched
>>on; maybe also accurate enough to send a couple of HE grenades
>>towards the beam source.
>>
>>I very much doubt that future laser warners are going to be less
>>efficient.
>
>So, you'll have a rough direction you're being lazed from.

I know that some of today's laser warning systems can determine the
direction they're being lazed from to "within a couple of degrees".
What I don't know for certain (or aren't allowed to say, which gives
pretty much the same effect) is:

1) how much *better* than a couple of degrees they come

2) how big those systems are (ie., do they fit on an MBT yet), and

3) whether or not they have been deployed in service yet.

Knowing the direction to the source to within a few degrees makes it
very easy indeed to spot... and that is with *today's* technology.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.