Prev: Re: laser designator Next: Re: WotD Laser Targeting

Re: WotD Laser Targeting

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 08:48:57 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: WotD Laser Targeting

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Tony Christney wrote:

> Also, the most modern lasers (research only mind you) are on
> the order of micrometers in size. So I don't think that, 182
> years down the line, lasers are going to be huge systems that
> need to to be set up.

Well, to get any sort of range & accuracy (small spot), your optics need
certain minimum dimensions. But still, nothing excessively bulky.

> So, my suggestion is that laser designators simply allow a
> guided weapon to be fired without direct line of sight
> between weapon and target, so long as at least one unit
> with a laser designator has been declared to be painting the
> target. That should probably use up the unit's entire
> activation.

I disagree with the last bit, but I would count the painting _figure_ as
having fired, therefore no other firing actions by this figure.

> GMS systems should also require at least a line of flight
> reasonably free of obstacles, i.e. no firing from the middle
> of a forest...

Indeed! OVER a forest would be possible, though, I'd think.

Cheers,

  Derk
Version: GnuPG v1.0.4 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Made with pgp4pine

iD8DBQE6xX3fJXH58oo6ncURArd3AJ0U19NNPKeEtHfy8id7NBrSafFCuwCeL60F
fpEoZekFAJWo5YzPuYIEWh4=
=q+GT

Prev: Re: laser designator Next: Re: WotD Laser Targeting