Prev: Fighter mass Next: various replies

Re: Fleet Escorts

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 21:29:35 EST
Subject: Re: Fleet Escorts

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 18:07:20 -0800 (PST) David Griffin
<carbon_dragon@yahoo.com> writes:
<snip>
>When technology changes, somebody,
>presumably the occasional brilliant leader,
>comes up with tactics they think match the
>situation. When wars happen we find out
>if it really works. So what really works here?

Blowing up more of 'their' ships then they do of 'yours' (or heaven
forbid, achieving your victory conditions).   Any way you can.	<grin>

Seriously, we are indirectly back to how you model Space Combat.  FT is
basically naval (WW1 or WW2 - take you pick) warfare in space.	And
while
I prefer an "Air Force" oriented model the reality of the more common
gaming groups seems to be "Task Forces in Space."

Also, seriously, judicious scenario victory conditions (or even a
campaign setting) can cause the 'free-for-all shoot-em-ups' to be
Pyrrhic
(spelling?) at best.   I believe that *if* we get into warfare in a FT
like setting (which I highly doubt for reasons that are /very/ off
topic)
I would expect that warfare would *truly* 3D in tactics, scope, and
strategy.   Very much more like SPI's old SF board games (with or
without
the psi-PSB - a PSB for a PSB!) then FT.  But I prefer to play the
latter
(sold off the 3 set of the former.)

Gracias, Glenn/Triphibious (American Mongrel)
You don't have to be French to be a 'frog', or even human!
Nektons - Real Marines! (Die, Ralnai, Die!)
Starguard, Dirtside 2,	Ratner's Space Marines, Stellar Conflicts
and Uprisings, and Full Thrust/2nd.  Resistance is everything!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Fighter mass Next: various replies