Prev: Re: Phalons, Kravak and Savasku was Alien Infantry Next: Re: 15mm vehicles?

WotW #5 AFHAWKS

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 13:18:39 +0100
Subject: WotW #5 AFHAWKS

If we are going to compair AFHAWKS to SV interceptor pods (and KV
scatterguns), we need to compair the masses and abilities of these
weapons.

AFHAWK (my ideas)
Mas=1 (per round)
Cost=x3 mass
Range=9 (?)MU (see later arguments)
Effects=Same as a scattergun/interceptor pods Vs fighters, other see
later
Requires use of a firecon per launcher. Designed to take out fighters,
so
ignores defensive bonus of heavy fighters.

Interceptor pods require a launcher (mass=3, same as a SML launcher), 1
mass
of biomass (which can also be used for hull/offensive weapons/etc, same
mass
as I gave for a AFHAWK round, which cannot be used for other purposes),
and
3 powerpoints (which require 3 mass, using a firecon would only require
1
mass).

The reason I gave the range as 9 (?)MU above (instead of 12) is that it
feel
right in respect to interceptor pods mass used, if you consider the fact
that it is purely a defensive weapon (a pod can be used as a offensive
weapon also), with only half the arcs of coverage. If this sounds too
powerful for it`s mass compaired to other systems, we can limit it uses
against other attacks. For example, against SML`s, it intercepts the
salvo
(after the number of missiles to hit roll) with a 1D6-3 (1 to 3=nil, 4=1
stopped etc). If this sound too low, the number can be altered (1D6-2
etc).
Against MT missiles, I would use 1D6-4 (psb-a bigger target that comes
with
it`s own ecm/stealth systems to get through the defences, Vs sml`s being
realtivly dumb high performance missiles). Against plasma bolts, we can
have
the same roll as interceptor pods, but it will only does one dammage
point
to the bolt, even if a 6 is rolled.

If you are looking for a reason for this, we can say that the
interceptor
missiles is designed as a anti-fighter missiles, and it`s other uses are
comprimised as a result (which was my original idea).

BIF
 "yorkshire born,yorkshire bred,
 strong in arms, thick in head"

PS-The range of 12 MU I gave originally was in comparison to KV
scattergun
pack. The range could probably be left at 12, with the limitations given
above against other attacks. Another idea is the 1D6-3 (or whatever)
against
sml`s, this number could be altered in a campain style game as your tech
level increases (reduced if your tech is higher, to represent better
seeker
heads for intercepting, increased if your tech is lower to represent
harder
ecm/intercepts).

Prev: Re: Phalons, Kravak and Savasku was Alien Infantry Next: Re: 15mm vehicles?