Prev: Re: Alien Infantry Next: Phalons was Alien Infantry

A couple of quick replies

From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@b...>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 04:11:11 -0500
Subject: A couple of quick replies

Derk:

1) EW - Any smart EW no longer does broad spectrum jamming. You don't
have
the power to manage that kind of jamming (or so I've been told by people
in
the Canadian intelligence community with military EW backgrounds). So,
assume that the jamming is sophisticated. In order to jam, you must
emit.
Modern ESM techniques are extremely sophisticated too and locating any
unit
that goes active (regardless of what type of emission) is going to be
none
too difficult by 2183. Even now, you go active, and you attract HARMs
from
air delivery plus artillery. That is why most EWOCs, when operating,
will
operate for a time then get the heck out of dodge to avoid the
counterstrikes. It takes a bit of time to localize you.... your window
of
work... but figure this will reduce in the future. You can't be totally
sneaky and still effectively muck up a powerful transmission. It will
always
be paper scissors rock, but nowadays EW assets that go active that don't
move shortly tend to get whacked. Or at least so goes the theory on this
side of the big pond. It was the doctrine I observed in CF EW forces our
infantry unit was protecting in Europe on excercises in the late
eighties. I
don't think that much has changed, except how quick you get localized...

2) Advanced Sensors - My take is opposite - advanced sensors are
passive.
The better the quality, the less need for active sensors, hence the less
detectable.

3) Squads and Fireteams:
Fireteam gets two actions, acts on its own. Probably should stay within
100m
(or less!) of its fellow fireteam - they really are meant for mutual
support. Both activate and act independently, but they get one morale
counter, and check as a unit for morale stuff - and when one takes
casualties, obviously that affects the whole unit. (The idea of me not
caring if a guy outside my squad gets whacked is another shortcoming of
the
current system.... but no one does it well so I'm not blaming Jon).

4) AT version of the ATAC....
I'm _sure_ that's a knock off with a hacked turret that someone has
molded.

5) If someone was looking for platoon sergeants etc, my original
interpretation is reiterated here:
Leaders and NCOs as Individuals
Rationale: Platoon officers and NCOs tend to attach/detach at will and
go
where they are needed and the fact they are on the radio would freeze
the
command squad in SG2. If they are treated as individuals, then they can
freely attach/detach and make themselves present as required.
As per the individual rules in the SG2 rulebook, these figures can
attach
detach at will. When attached to a unit, they temporarily replace the
existing leader (so a weak squad can be taken over by the grizzled
platoon
sergeant).
Platoon Sergeants
Rationale: A lot of the leadership in units is provided by NCOs. They
can
often initiate things when the Lt. is otherwise occupied.
Treat the Pltn Sgt and Lt as co-equal command elements (in the sense
that
the Lt can't reactivate the Sgt to reactivate the squads again...).
However,
the Platoon can only have a total of 3 transferred command - either 2
from
the Lt and 1 from the Sgt or vice versa in any given turn (the obvious
exception to this being if higher command reactivates the Pltn Ldr).

Prev: Re: Alien Infantry Next: Phalons was Alien Infantry