Prev: Re: [sg] Starting Forces Next: Re: [OT] RL, again Re: [OT] Paper Starships

RE: [sg] Starting Forces

From: Henrix <henrix@p...>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:33:41 +0100
Subject: RE: [sg] Starting Forces

At 13:51 2001-03-21, you wrote:
>[Bri] 3 soldiers with AAR/GL woud get a d10 (3*3 = 9 round UP). Plus
the
>support weapon. 6 soldiers with the same equipment would only get 1 die
>shift up. I have not played enough to know if 1 unit (d12/d8/d6) is
better
>than 2 units (d10/d8 and d10/d6) or not.

The two units will produce more suppresion markers, but will be hard
pressed to get any effective fire, while the unit with more dice will
cause
many more casualties, since; a) it has a much better chance of rolling
two
dice higher than the range die, and b) the total of ALL their dice are
added together to be divided by the maximum on the range die.

So it depends on what you want to do.
If you want to suppress the enemy, go for two units (they can produce
twice
as many suppression markers per activation.
If you want to disable the enemy, go for the big one.

But remember, if your small unit gets one man out, it's down to d6/d6!
It
might make it's confidence tests, but it is not very effective any
longer.

Personally I generally aim for the d12 FP (6-man squad, four or five
with
AAR/GL, one SAW and perhaps one additional support weapon or GMS/p).

---

Prev: Re: [sg] Starting Forces Next: Re: [OT] RL, again Re: [OT] Paper Starships