Prev: RE: Full Thrust FB2 Next: Re: [OT] Irregular Miniatures Contact

Re: [OT] "Enemy At The Gates" Review

From: "clourenco" <clourenco@s...>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 08:37:40 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT] "Enemy At The Gates" Review

Just wanted to Chime in that I enjoyed the film very much.  It does
modify
the facts as written, (the ending was completely modified from the real
story for dramatic effect.) but taken as a good drama and war movie, I
think
I'll set it right up there on the top shelf of my war movie collection
when
it comes out on DVD.

And Tom asked:
- How did a school commandant get to be "the best sniper"?

I don't know how does the guy that wins the most points in F1 get to be
best
driver of the year? (actually see below)

- How does a Colonel keep up his sniper abilities?
(Most good snipers were NCOs....)

Yeah you see the Germans had this funny habit of promoting good
battlefield
performers whereas in other armies, once a scummy enlisted man always a
scummy enlisted man. (even if you do get commissioned) And when you work
at
a range... Go figure...

- Where'd Ed Harris' character get some of the awards he is wearing if
he
was a school commandant?
(Was he a great WW1 sniper?)

He was a sniper first and a higly decorated soldier pulled off the front
and
sent to the school. Koenig was the Kommadant of the Sniper school, he
was
the Masterschutze, the master sniper..head instructor. Most nations will
pull their top snipers to become instrcutors and even run thier own
courses,
as Hathcock did for instance. Eventually they're worth more to the war
effort there than at the front.

Oh and I was more than happy to see that girl's ass....

Cheers...

Los