Prev: RE: FT-Technology in the FT world Next: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #384

RE: [OT] barbarians

From: "laserlight@q..." <laserlight@quixnet.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 16:54:38 -0500
Subject: RE: [OT] barbarians

>John said:
>Yup.  Remember, the original definition of the term
now rendered "barbarian" was "Anyone not Greek."  This
evolved into "Anyone not Roman" when they conquered
the part of the world worth having.

Tom Replies:
>Hmmm. I musta missed that in history. I agree with your comment about
"Not
Greek" and "Not Roman" meaning (in their eyes) barbarians. OTOH, since
they
never conquered the land of the Kelts and Druids (just build bleedin'
Hadrian's Wall) which is now called Scotland, I can't possibly see how
you
conclude "they conquered the part of the world worth having". Sorry
John,
but in this one instance, you're just plain wrong. ;)

IIRC, Hadrian's Wall corresponded to the northern limit for cultivation
of wine grapes.  Anything north of that = not worth having.  And if Us
Kelts (I'm a Bruce) disagreed with that, why'd we keep moving to other
countries?

Prev: RE: FT-Technology in the FT world Next: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #384