Prev: Re: FT-Technology in the FT world Next: Re: [FT] UNSC

Re: [ft] wotw - needlebeams

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 19:48:40 GMT
Subject: Re: [ft] wotw - needlebeams

In message <B18DDC5F1158D311A66900805FD47181C89DFE@VSTASV1>
	  "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@dva.gov.au> wrote:

> Well, here's what looks like the final versions taking into account
Oerjan's
> & Charles comments.
>
> Does anyone who hasn't previously comments have any thoughts or
changes on
> play balance?  If not, we'll close off this wotw discussion and start
a new
> one.
>
> *****
> Multi-arc Needlebeam
> Mass: 2 +1 per arc, Cost: 3 per mass.
> ** 12" range, other rules as per Needlebeam.
>
> Heavy Needlebeam
> Mass: 5, 1 arc, Cost: 3 per mass.
> 2 die vs 1 system at 12", 1 die vs 1 system at 24". Additional beam
re-roll
> damage.  All other rules as per Needlebeam.
> ** well-balanced between cost and effect; doesn't need the extra
firecon
> rules.  You're trading range for efficiency & damage.
>
> KV Sniper Gun
> ** too complicated & has same effect as regular needlebeam (KV PSB
version).

Ok, just say is the KV version of a Needle Beam. Historical Note: My
original concept (posted over a year ago IIRC) was trying for something
like a reduced damage K1 with system targeting abilities - but I
couldn't get the concept working right :-(

> Phalon Pulsar-N
> ** Allow as an additional tuning option.  6" range, same arcs as
Pulsar.
> All other rules as Needlebeam.  The reduced range trades off the
ability for
> multiple arcs.  NB: can still fire in PDS mode if required.
I'd say, 12 mu range, but cannot be used as PDS?

> Sa'Vasku Pod - Needle
> Biomass:1, Power: 3.
> ** Range 12". 3 die vs 1 system, other rules as per Needlebeam.  The
penalty
> of losing biomass balances the 3rd die.
				 ^^^^^^^ where's the 2nd die coming
from?
My analysis of the Lance Pod in FB2 indicates that it is roughly
equivalent to a shot from a MASS 3, COST 9 weapon (based on comparison
with a pulse torpedo, with some allowance for the improved armour
piercing capability).
So it should be about 50% better than a 1-arc Needle Beam hit.
(double Needle dice, if either dice rolls 5+, 1 DP is caused, both dice
roll 5+, 2 DP are cause, either dice rolls 6, target system destroyed
- probably close enough).

Remember- Sa'Vas'Ku buy biomass on the assumption that they'll spend it
on repairs, pods, & drones.

> St*r Tr*k Multiuse beams (genre specific only)
> ** If using standard FB rules: 6" range & subtract 1 die from normal
beam
> (ie: PDS & class-1 can't be used).  1 firecon *per beam fired*.
Damage is