Prev: [OT] Barbarians Next: Re: Destroyers

Re: [OT]: Trailers, John A, and Barbarians

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 18:57:06 +0100
Subject: Re: [OT]: Trailers, John A, and Barbarians

Barclay, Tom wrote:

>1) Trailers.
>Grav trailer: why? As you pointed out in our offline discussion of
>appropriate engineering assets, having a variety of trailers you
>can attach just makes sense.

The grav trailer needs its own near-full-sized grav engine. Simply
providing the lifting force isn't enough; it also needs the
side-to-side
maneuvering capability as well or it'll whip out in every curve the
main
vehicle makes (imagine driving with a loaded trailer on smooth ice,
with smooth tyres... then remove the ground friction :-/ ). The only
thing which keeps a usable grav trailer from being a straight-up
robotic vehicle is that it'd take its maneuvering commands from the
main vehicle instead of from an on-board computer brain. GEV trailers
have exactly the same problem.

>Maybe the AG unit (or GEV) unit in the trailer is powered by some
>sort of electrical PTO from the main vehicle

That assumes a *seriously* over-sized powerplant on the main vehicle,
though. Very unlikely, unless the main vehicle is purpose-built for
towing
grav/GEV trailers.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: [OT] Barbarians Next: Re: Destroyers