Prev: Re: RE: RE: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant) Next: Re: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant)

Re: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant)

From: "Mark A. Siefert" <siefertma@w...>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 23:14:46 -0600
Subject: Re: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant)

----- Original Message -----
From: Popeyesays@aol.com
To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2001 1:54 PM

In a message dated 3/15/01 11:39:35 AM Central Standard Time,
Daniel.Casquilho@disney.com writes:

Cities and counties raise taxes on property via legally enacted
structures,
the mayor , city council, County Supervisors whatever are all duly
elected
and their ordnances are subject to approval by the voters voting them in
or
out of office. Perfectly representative.

    Not really I'm afraid.  As with all "representative democracies" the
only people who are represented are those who A) vote at all, and B)
actually voted for the winner of the election.	Now granted, some of the
people who don't vote do so because they are apathetic.  However, some
do
not vote because they realize just what a sham the system is.  As for
group
"B", I vote in just about every election and I can not say that I have
representation.  I vote for neither of my State's senators (Herb Kohl
and
Russ Feingold), nor my district's congressional representive (Jerry
Kleczka).  I didn't vote for them because I do not agree with their
politics, nor do I believe that they will represent my interests.  Why
should they worry about keeping a vote they didn't get in the first
place?
Ultimately, I am not reprsentented.  So the question before the house
(no
pun intended) is why am I morally obligated to obey the laws that
Feingold,
Kohl, and Kleczka help enact?  Better yet, why should I vote at all.

Later,
Mark A. Siefert

       "OK, so one woman exists; does that mean all women exist?"

     --Crow T. Robot
       MST3K,"Hobgoblins"

E-MAIL: siefertma@wauknet.com	WWW: http://www.homegame.org/siefert

Prev: Re: RE: RE: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant) Next: Re: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant)