Prev: Re: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant) Next: Re: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant)

Re: RE: RE: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant)

From: "Mark A. Siefert" <siefertma@w...>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 22:39:39 -0600
Subject: Re: RE: RE: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Smith" <matt@smithdom.freeserve.co.uk>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2001 2:40 PM

> Why is everyone so cynical all the time? Are we really in a world
where
> cynics are the only true realists?

    You are correct, sir.

> Is it impossible to believe that
> somewhere, sometime in the future, a power may exist that is not
totally
> corrupted by bureaucracy and personal or political gain?

    As long as the focus of government is "protecting" people out of
their
lives, liberty, and property, it will be impossible.

>I'm not saying the
> UN is or will be perfect, but if you read the canon, the UNSC was
CREATED
> be a benevolent force. It's the whole point of their existance, at
least
> until the Kra'Vak show up - at which point they become something
perhaps
> even better - the force that is able to finally unite humanity
(although
> that may well be attributed more the KVs themselves).

    And why, pray tell, is a good thing to "unite humanity?"  When last
looked, we humans were individual thinkers, not social insects.

> And what on earth is wrong with taxes?

    Taxation is state-sponsored robbery, pure and simple.  How is it
that
when your average theif threatens my person for my property, its a
felony?
Yet, when the state does much the same, then it's a "social
responsibility"
that I must pay or face imprisonment or worse?

>Nobody likes them, but they really are necessary.

    If you want government and the appearent benefits that come with
them
sooooo badly, then you pay for it.  The rest of us, who realize that no
form
government is neither capable nor willing to protect the freedom of the
population they claim to rule, can do without.

> Here in the UK right now the NHS is suffering badly and no
> one is willing to raise taxes to support them - they're afraid of
losing
> votes. If taxes were raised by 1p in every £ it would provide around
£2bn
> more to help the NHS. My family can afford that and are more than
willing
> pay.

   ...and screw property rights of the ones who are un-willing to pay,
hmmmm?

> Why does everyone seem to hate the idea?? In the same vein, why
> shouldn't the UN levy taxes to support an initiative that is keeping
> billions of human beings safe from war?

    As I said, if people want to be kept safe from war, then let them
open
up their wallets and purses to support it.  Just because a good,
service, or
institution is considered "good" doesn't mean that you have a right to
extort its support out of those who don't want it.

Later,
Mark A. Siefert

       "OK, so one woman exists; does that mean all women exist?"

     --Crow T. Robot
       MST3K,"Hobgoblins"

E-MAIL: siefertma@wauknet.com	WWW: http://www.homegame.org/siefert

Prev: Re: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant) Next: Re: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant)