Prev: Re: RE: RE: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant) Next: Re: Los thoughts on breaching

Re: Los thoughts on breaching

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 21:40:56 +0100
Subject: Re: Los thoughts on breaching

I agree with most of what Los says, but...

>Just remember a breaching charge is a cutting charge, which uses a
>proportionately small amount of explosives,. specifically placed and
>shaped to cut a hole. And almost always this is done in door not a
wall.

...I have to disagree with this, at least for large-scale MOUT. Special
Ops may well be different, of course, since you may want some of the
people in the attacked room to survive :-/

Both the British and the Swedish army wants to be able to blow a hole
in the walls - *not* in the doors. Why? Because quite often the
defenders are already oriented towards the doors, so if you go through
the door and your breaching charge doesn't knock them out (temporarily
or permanently) you'll get hurt. By going through the walls you can
enter the room from any direction, thus getting a better chance of
surprising the enemy.

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: RE: RE: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant) Next: Re: Los thoughts on breaching