Prev: RE: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant) Next: Re: Los thoughts on breaching

Re: RE: RE: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant)

From: "Matthew Smith" <matt@s...>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 20:40:02 -0000
Subject: Re: RE: RE: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant)

> > No disagreement with any of that, and I agree the UN is like
> > that now and more so when it has its own revenue stream and
> > troops--but how likely is it that having "power without
> > accountability" will make the UN a benevolent force?
>
> Oh, I do not see the UNSC/UN as a "good guy" or benevolent
> force at all. I just see them as another power players in a large
> game. I agree with Jon when he said there is no "Good Guy" in his
> future setting.
>
> Daniel

Why is everyone so cynical all the time? Are we really in a world where
cynics are the only true realists? Is it impossible to believe that
somewhere, sometime in the future, a power may exist that is not totally
corrupted by bureaucracy and personal or political gain? I'm not saying
the
UN is or will be perfect, but if you read the canon, the UNSC was
CREATED to
be a benevolent force. It's the whole point of their existance, at least
until the Kra'Vak show up - at which point they become something perhaps
even better - the force that is able to finally unite humanity (although
that may well be attributed more the KVs themselves).

And what on earth is wrong with taxes? Nobody likes them, but they
really
are necessary. Here in the UK right now the NHS is suffering badly and
no
one is willing to raise taxes to support them - they're afraid of losing
votes. If taxes were raised by 1p in every £ it would provide around
£2bn
more to help the NHS. My family can afford that and are more than
willing to
pay. Why does everyone seem to hate the idea?? In the same vein, why
shouldn't the UN levy taxes to support an initiative that is keeping
billions of human beings safe from war?

Prev: RE: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant) Next: Re: Los thoughts on breaching