Prev: RE: [FT] UNSC Next: RE: Re:Nukes

Re: Aircraft Vs Dreadnoughts (Which is what the topic mutated into :o)

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@d...>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 23:14:40 +1100
Subject: Re: Aircraft Vs Dreadnoughts (Which is what the topic mutated into :o)

From: <ShldWulf@aol.com>

> Incorrect. The Iowa's have anti-air missiles, (Sea-sparrows as I
recall)
with
> 15-20 mile range.

Not according to my info. A quartet of Vulcan/Phalanx. Note that with
the early editions of this weapon, you can't have 2 firing on the same
bearing,
they interfere with one another. At least, so says the unclass
literature.

As for an NSSMS (Nato Sea Sparrow Missile System), it's classified as
a Point Defence Missile System, not an Area Defence one.
Early versions were called BPMDS (Basic Point Defence Missile System)
and for good reason - it was a cheap, quick way to make a point defence
missile using existing parts ( ASROC launcher and AIM-7E). Later
versions,
the RIM-7H and RIM-7M had improved boosters, and much improved homing
and reliability, but the airfarme is the same. The Vertical Launch
version
is
improved yet again, but you can only get so much out of the basic
design.

I've been exposed to classy data about this, and can't recall an unclas
figure
to quote, but bear in mind the AIM-7E missile on which it's based has a
publically admitted range of about 20NM when fired at high altitude
(where
the
air is thin) and with a 400+ knot boost from the firer. You could
reasonably
expect this range to be (very) roughly halved if fired at low level from
stationary
platform. Roughly half again if fired at a target that's not a big,
heavy
and
unamnouverable bomber, as you must have enough energy up your sleeve to
maneouvre. Add a bit (heck, double it) for improvements, then add or
subtract
a bit depending on whether you think the public figure is on the high or
low
side.
You might do a bit better against an LGB, as the trajectory's stable,
and
it's not moving very fast. But then again, you''ve got to climb to
altitude,
so
your range against a target at 30,000ft might be zero; you'd have to
intercept
lower down.
But as I said, I've been exposed to classy data on this one, so can only
speak
in broad generalities.

Prev: RE: [FT] UNSC Next: RE: Re:Nukes