Prev: Re: [FT] UNSC Next: Re: Aircraft Vs Dreadnoughts (Which is what the topic mutated into :o)

RE: [FT] UNSC

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 07:13:59 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT] UNSC

I have taken a slightly different turn on the UNSC.

The UN is still made up of the governments of the inner sphere (and some
Rim
states).

In 2014, Spain takes Gibraltar from Britain. The EC refuses to take
military
or economic action (Cannon to this point). Britain (and tacitly the US)
push
for the UN to step in. The EC uses its veto power to keep the UN
peacekeeping forces from interfering. Britain and the US call for an
independent peacekeeping force for the UN, made up of permanent,
professional soldiers. The EC, Russia, and China balk at this idea.

In 2027, the destruction of Israel again brings calls for an independent
UN
force. The motion is barely defeated.

In 2037, the destruction of Delhi by Sikh fundamentalist provides the
last
straw. The UN is granted the right to train, keep, and deploy its own
professional army. Volunteer forces are still provided by member
nations,
however.

This proves to be a timely move as the world enters into the "Time of
Consolidation" (2039-2123). The UNP (UN Peacekeepers) grows over this
time
as soldiers leave "consolidated" territories and would rather fight for
the
UN than for the conquerors.

The largest influxes are in
  2047 Coup in Moscow. Many join the RH forces, many join the UN.
  2050-2057 2nd American Civil War.
  2072 LLAR looses Earth holdings

Although the UNP is semi-independent, it still has to deal with pressure
and
vetoes of the UN member-states.

2137-2142 The First Solar War

2143 The horrors of the First Solar War brings the UN to create the
United
Nations Space Command (UNSC). This force is charged with security of
shipping in the inner colonies. To this end it is given autonomy as a
member-state of the UN and is funded in a major way through tariffs on
goods
and travel within the inner colonies. The UNP is folded into the UNSC at
this time also. This gives the UNSC an income independent of the UN
member-state donations and thus greater independence of action.

2145 The Second Solar War. With the outbreak of the 2nd Solar War, the
calls
to bring the UNSC back under control of the Political UN quietly die
away as
the need for an independent force becomes clear.

The independent nature of this peacekeeping force is attractive to many
and
they have no problem recruiting members for forces, scientists for
research
and exploration, and funding from philanthropists.

Anyway, that's my take on them.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net