Prev: Re: [FT] Heavy Beams - 4321 Next: Re: Nukes was: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts

Re: [OT] modelling Q and ISO Ben Kenobi and his Harem

From: Mike Stanczyk <stanczyk@p...>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 22:03:41 -0700 (MST)
Subject: Re: [OT] modelling Q and ISO Ben Kenobi and his Harem

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Barclay, Tom wrote:

> 2) modelling Q
> Anyone know of anything chemical that will eat 5 minute epoxy without
> cratering white metal minis?
> I have a couple of minis (well, about 10-12) that I believe have been
> epoxied to steel washers. Me no like the steel washer - too big.
Instead, I
> want to remount them on pennies. In order to do that without
destroying
> them, I need an epoxy eating substance. A solvent, acid, or other
similar
> chemical, but one that will not react with the white metal.
>
> Ideas? I suspect HCl(aq) or HFl(aq) (hydrochloric or hydroflouric
acids)
> would probably interact badly with the white metal. How about acetone?
gas?
> brake fluid? Other oddball substance? Xylol?
>
> I'd really like a good solution (no pun intended) to this problem.
>
> Tomb.

I've been in a similar place, but I think I got lucky.	I came into some
colonial marines mounted with epoxy onto steel squares.  I was able to
use
pliers and bend the steel until the figure popped free.  But I had to
file
the epoxy off by hand.	(I bought a dremel-like tool very soon after.)

Mike

Prev: Re: [FT] Heavy Beams - 4321 Next: Re: Nukes was: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts