Prev: RE: [FT]Needle damage Next: Re: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts

Re: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts

From: "Christopher Pratt" <valen@g...>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 07:31:22 -0500
Subject: Re: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts

----- Original Message -----
From: "Glenn M Wilson" <triphibious@juno.com>
To: <Stargrunt-Fullthrust@yahoogroups.com>;
<FullThrust@yahoogroups.com>;
<gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2001 6:52 AM

> On Fri, 9 Mar 2001 02:51:17 -0800 (PST)
> =?iso-8859-1?q?Michael=20Robert=20Blair?= <pellinoire@yahoo.com>
writes:
> >To put it very bluntly.
> >DD vs BB? The DD dies, live with it.
> >

> As it should be. <grin>
>
> >If anything most starship games do not give small
> >ships a hard enough time. Fighters always seem to be
> >of exaggerated usefulness - people take the Yamato as
> >a normal example of the superiority of aircraft over
> >BBs and apply this model to the space games forgetting
> >just what a concentration of airpower this
> >represented.
> >

> Yeah, anybody know just how many carriers were involved in this
strike?

umm... all of them...

Seriously, all 10 american fleet carriers launched something in the
neighborhood or 320 strike aircraft!
As a side note, when Musashi (the other yamato class) was sunk earlier
in
the war, she took 12 torpedos and 19 dive bomb strikes before she wnet
down...

> >I know I am biased, I don't like fighters - I would go
> >for the pre WW I model.

I agree... but then I'm a battleship junkie myself.  Before WWII, most
of
the admirality's of the world belived that aircraft would fight it out
in
the skies above a major fleet action, much the same way the destroyers
of
jutland fought between the apposing battle lines.

> >I can't help but see fighters as air-superiority and
> >ground attack craft launched from orbit with no part
> >in a fight in space.
> >
> >Michael
> >
> Well, it depends on your basis for the game model - One modern CV with
> full complement should be able to sink multiple Kirov, Missouri's etc.
> But then that's hardly a fair (or even reasonable) model.  I like the
> 'Extended Range Air Force' model for SF space war myself but yes if
this
> is WW2 in space then strike craft (fighters) are over rated.
>
> Gracias, Glenn/Triphibious (American Mongrel)
> You don't have to be French to be a 'frog', or even human!
> Nektons - Real Marines! (Die, Ralnai, Die!)
> Starguard, Dirtside 2,  Ratner's Space Marines, Stellar Conflicts
> and Uprisings, and Full Thrust/2nd.  Resistance is everything!

Later
Chris "Battleship junkie" Pratt

Prev: RE: [FT]Needle damage Next: Re: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts