Prev: Re: FW: London Times Article Next: Re: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts

RE: [FT]Needle damage

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 06:56:39 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT]Needle damage

That triggered some fond memories. When I first started playing Full
Thrust
we gave every system 4 levels or repair: New, Damaged, Fixed, Destroyed.
When a system was damaged by a threshold check, it became Damaged
(marked a
single line through it). If the system was Repaired, we marked 'OK' next
the icon. If a Damaged or Repaired system took damage from a threshold
again, it became Destroyed (unable to be repaired, crossed off). Needle
Beams took a system directly to the Destroyed level. It made a quick
game
even quicker (and more deadly).

I would, however, stay away from having a weapon function differently at
different ranges.

I agree that Needle Beams (NB) are not a main line weapon (and IMHO,
they
should stay that way). They are a little too weak. However, I would
prefer
not to see an arms race that will negate the value of the current NB, or
make an NB fleet mandatory if you expect to win a pick-up game. Giving a
NB
either additional arcs or extra range should be provided at a HEAVY
PENALTY.
The value of a NB should be adjusted so that it's cost/mass still makes
Beam weapon preferable in most situations, but allows the NB to still be
useful in specific situations (piracy, specific ship-capture missions,
etc.).

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net