Prev: Re: [GZG ECC] Looking for a spaceship Next: (DS, SG) A Sort of Halfway idea

Re:[FT]WotW Needle beams

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 23:37:53 GMT
Subject: Re:[FT]WotW Needle beams

In message <b77122544a.Charles@cableol.co.uk>
	  Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@cableol.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]
> Well, that works as well, with FT, you can attach whatever PSB you
> like to each weapon system, for instance, my KV 'sniper gun' is (in
> one version) simple a needle beam with a different PSB (highly
> accurate light kinetic energy weapon). One question - why did you
choose
> class 3 batteries to have the 'focusable' capability?
>
> On the subject - another idea (loosely inspired by Ian M. Banks) IIRC
> suggested this before - but I've revised it a bit.
>
> Effector Beam
> This uses a highly sophisticated directed electronic warfare system to
> knock out the control electronics of the target system. Roll a number
of
> d6's equal to the class of the Effector, if any dice rolls 4+ (5+ if
> target has level 1 screens, 6 if target has level 2 screens), then the
> target system is knocked out (main drive is reduced to 1/2 by 1 hit,
> knocked out by 2+ hits).
> Unlike Needle Beams, this weapon does no hull damage, and knocked out
> systems can be re-activated on a successful damage control roll.
> Weapon range is 18 mu per class, but loses 1 dice per 18 mu of range
> The effector requires 1 dedicated fire control per 18 mu of range.
>
> Class      MASS  COST
> 1 (1-arc)    2    24
> 1 (3-arc)    3    36
> 1 (6-arc)    4    48
> 2 (1-arc)    4    48
> (extra arc) +1    +6
> 3 (1-arc)    8    96
> (extra arc) +2   +12
>
> Each additional class is twice the mass of the previous, and has a
COST
> equal to 6 times the MASS
>
> Fairly nasty, but its supposed to be a bit of ultra-tech gear (hence
> the high COST/MASS ratio), the MASS and COST values are largely
> guesswork.
>
> Charles

Just thought of an extra bit of nastiness :-)

Effectors _can_ target core systems, as follows:

(1 'hit' is 1 dice that had a successful effect)

Command Bridge - the ship is 'out of control' for 1 turn per 'hit'

Power Core - core goes unstable for 1 turn per hit (but will only
explode on a roll of 6, rather than 5+)

Life Support - life support will fail in (7- number of 'hits') turns

In all cases, the effects can be negated by a successful damage control
roll.

If you're using these - you probably better put the cost up a bit (say
COST = MASS x 7 or MASS x8 or so).

This is very nasty - I'm only putting it in because it was inspired by
a bit in Excession.

Prev: Re: [GZG ECC] Looking for a spaceship Next: (DS, SG) A Sort of Halfway idea