Prev: Re: Childish things was Re: That Age Thing Next: More from others please!! Re: [DS] An incomplete AAR :-)

Re: [SG2] Bad things happen...

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:23:00 +1100
Subject: Re: [SG2] Bad things happen...

G'day Frits,

Sounds like you had fun, though it is actually easier to play games with

objectives I've found.

 >How would people handle this situation,
 >especially without artillery support
 >available?

We don't usually play with artillery support so I would've gone to
ground
(i.e. in position) in the wood and started a firefight (unless I had
green
troops then I'd pull back and let a better squad come forward).

 >A few questions: how do people use artillery
 >support in SG2 games, and how much
 >do you use? It seemed to have a big
 >impact, especially with multiple rounds.

We don't use artillery much at all, and vehicles other than
APCs/trucks/zodiacs only occasionally. SG is much better suited to
mainly
infantry I reckon, but other probably don't agree.

 >About close assaults...It seems that if you don't
 >folowup the same activation the enemy has
 >the chance to get away relatively unscathed.

That depends on what lies beyond and what your newly taken position is
like. If you've just won some hard cover and the other guy is fleeing
across open ground with his other squads all around I'd stay where I was
;)
One thing to watch though is how many follow-ups you allow. Down here we

allow one, but that was our choice the rules don't say. You probably
should
decide before the situation arises which way you're going to go though.

 >We also had loads of cover on the table...
 >How much cover do people put on the
 >table most of the time?

On average we'd have >75% of the board covered with some form of
terrain,
but not all of it blocks LOS (shrubs etc won't, parks won't, but thick
woods will). However, we've also had games in deserts (where sand dunes
and
holes you dig are it) and jungles (where you can't see anything until
you
just about stand on it). This is where objectives come in to play more,
good choice of objectives (and tailoring them based on the competence of

the players) makes all the difference.

 >I also sort of suspected some of
 >the participants to use some of the more
 >extreme things from the rules, just
 >so the conclusion from this game would be
 >that the rules suck. There are some
 >people at our club who seem to have
 >problems with every ruleset they didn't
 >invent themselves.

I've run into people like that too. I wouldn't let them ruin your day,
you
don't need to heaps to play SG. I'd suggest you and the guys who are
interested try another game with a couple of squads each, some lighter
terrain (maybe with a village in the middle, whoever holds it for 2
turns
wins) and no artillery. I think you'll find it a better introduction to
the
game.

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

Prev: Re: Childish things was Re: That Age Thing Next: More from others please!! Re: [DS] An incomplete AAR :-)