Prev: [DS] First Game Over! Next: Re: [FT] Ship repair

Re: FT-Needle beam ideas

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 14:36:08 -0500
Subject: Re: FT-Needle beam ideas

>From BIF:

> 1-Multi arc needle beams

Possible. Multi-arc needle beams are much more useful than single arc. I
have PSB/"feel" reservations about a 6-arc pinpoint weapon, but at least
1
mass/3 or 4 points per extra arc is in the right ballpark.

> 2-heavy needle beams (as on noam`s site, with the double dammage
ablities)
I personally don`t like a needle beam that can do double hits at once.
But
each to their own (if it works for him, OK).

I bilieve the Heavy Needle can't target more than one system (even at
close
range), though on 2 sixes it can destroy "2-hit" systems like Main
Drive.
The main function of the HNB is extended range. It behaves like 2
Needles
at 0-12" and a single needle at 12-24"

> 3-Long range needle beams (simular to above, but without double
dammage)
The Class 2 beam dynamic _is_ what the HNB is based on. I can see you're
thinking of something that basically has a single roll from say 0-24",
which
is another way to go about it. I'd have to cost it at least 3 Mass for 1
arc, + at least 1 mass per additional (max 3 if any). Probably cost
4xMass.
I'd still choose the HNB, though.

> 4-Multi arc long range needle beams
I don't really like the idea of a muti-arc precision weapon.

> 5-Needle beam MT missiles
They've been discussed in the past on the list, I think.

> 6-Variable focus needle beams/class 3 bats.
Plausible. I'd say you have to pick a single arc it could fire through,
though.

Prev: [DS] First Game Over! Next: Re: [FT] Ship repair