Prev: [OT] Klein Bottles Next: Re: [OT]: GROPOS

Re: Odd Alarishi sovereignities [was Re: [OT]: GROPOS]

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 08:12:36 -0800
Subject: Re: Odd Alarishi sovereignities [was Re: [OT]: GROPOS]

> [Alarishi Empire]
> >And you have to wonder about the guy who wants to build, not a
Ringworld, but
> >a Mobius-loop-world....

Karl suggested a Klein bottle world, but the architect was adamant
that he didn't want anyone to put a pressure curtain in the "neck" and
turn it into a de facto two-surfaced body.  Said a Mobius strip had
more "purity".	He's not planning on using antimatter power, just the
usual zero-point-energy generators, so he's liable to get someone to
invest in it (unless that chap who's making noise about "the dangers
of thinning out the quantum foam" starts getting an audience.  Given
the proximity of New LA, that's a risk to his financing).

Aaron Teske:
> Hmm, if you can either move the twist or else put everything on a
moving
> road (a la "The Roads Must Roll" by Heinlein) then you won't need
shadow
> squares.  On the other hand, that'll certainly lend new meaning to
locking
> things down at night, especially if you're relying on the rotation
of the
> "world" to simulate gravity....

It won't have anything like the scale of the original ringworld.
He'll put it in orbit fairly close to the sun--about 1/2 AU so it gets
about as much insolation as Mars, although it'll be a lot more IR and
less UV than what Mars gets, of course--and add an artificial light
source that bobs back and forth through the loop.   Artificial gravity
on the loop itself, of course.	That may be a problem because most
Alarishi feel more comfortable with a few meters of rock between them
and the sky, but I'm sure he'll be able to find a few idiots, ah,
experimental pioneers who are willing to rely on artificial gee to

Prev: [OT] Klein Bottles Next: Re: [OT]: GROPOS