Prev: Re: [FT]-escort ships Next: Re: FMAS names

Re: FMAS names

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 17:48:26 -0500
Subject: Re: FMAS names

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:31:46 +0000, Ground Zero Games <jon@gzg.com>
wrote:

>I think that may be FireFIGHT, but will have to check.

By golly, you're right. "Fire Fight", copyright 1985. "Firefight" was an
SPI
modern tactical board game, and "Firepower" was an Avalon Hill skirmish
game.
There was a PC game called "Fireteam" that came out in the late '90s.
West End
Games also had a tactical combat board game called "Fireteam".

Here are a couple of my name ideas.

"Overwatch" - I like this one, but don't know if you'd have problems
with GW.
GW likes to think it invented the term (though I first came across the
term in
the '70s when discussing infantry tactics).

"Reaction Fire" - The name is based on a term in Stargrunt, so it has
that SG2
connection.

"Target Rich Environment" - Kind of cumbersome, but it's a known phrase,
has a
simple acronym (TRE) and fits in with a three word title like "Bugs
Don't
Surf".

"Die Shift" - Okay, this is frivolous, but at least it fits the two
syllable
theme, and it has the word "die" in it!

By the way... Everyone knows where the term "bugs" comes from when
regarding
aliens (Starship Troopers or Aliens, take your pick). I remember talking
someone who didn't realise that "Bugs Don't Surf" is a take off on a
phrase in
a war movie! I know the movie (don't have it on DVD yet), but can anyone
else
name the movie, the actual phrase, and the name of the character saying
the
phrase? *G*

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,

Prev: Re: [FT]-escort ships Next: Re: FMAS names