Prev: [OT/DS] Interesting Ogre Review and Pictures Next: Re: (OT) What I love to hate was Re: [OT] Mini Pictures

Re: In praise of Cottage Industry

From: "David L. Dunn - DLD Productions" <dldproductions@z...>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:43:00 -0600
Subject: Re: In praise of Cottage Industry

I wholehearted agree that GW is in it for the money, and not the hobby.
When I
first started my "company", I was told by SCORE, (a branch of the SBA)
that what I
have isn't a business, it's a hobby! Just because I don't pull in
$30,000 a month,
or even a year in sales!  I bust my hind every day. Not Monday thru
Friday,
everyday, to keep my orders up, and my stock moving, and new ideas
flowing.  I
don't know, but it sure feels like a business.	When the bottom fell out
of the
model making aspect of the movie industry, I was left with, "what do I
do now?"
I'm in it for the hobby folks. I take great pride in the work I produce,
and even
more when I make a sale, and ship it! I'm not afraid of expansion,
because I will
have control of the pulse.  I do all of the work myself. Everything.
R&D, casting,
trimming, box art, advertising, shipping, and I still have time for
doing web site
design.  I cannot comprehend how a "company" can do business without
photos, or
something for someone to look at.  I'm not going to "buy sight unseen".
wouldn't expect my customers to either. Yeah, I might be a "Cottage
Industry", or
a guy in a garage that was turned into a shop, but I can also create a
web site
with photos and color and form. [even tho I stumbled thru all of it! :o
]  And I
have had no training on web design.  It's not hard. If I can do
it......so can
others.....if they want and care to.  Digital cameras are the way to go
by far! We
have a scanner, but it takes so long to scan, when all I have to do is
click the
camera and remove the disk and TaDa! Photo. It's real simple!
What I'm trying to say is that I wish that more companies would care
more about
the customer than, "How many sales we can do in a month". After all,
it's the
customer that makes that sale. And without them, there is no sale. It's
the GW
mentality that brings gives the Gaming Market a bad rap.  People get
burnt by GW's
switch-o-change-o of rules and therefore doesn't have the want to "try"
a new
company (GZG). I guess I'm a little torqued at GW.....wonder
why....(hundreds of
dollars wasted because of this rulez change or that...grrrrrr)
"Up With Cottage Industries, Down with the suits!"
<sorry for the rant! It struck a nerve>
--
David L. Dunn
DLD Productions

http://zippnet.net/~dldproductions/

Prev: [OT/DS] Interesting Ogre Review and Pictures Next: Re: (OT) What I love to hate was Re: [OT] Mini Pictures