Prev: RE: SG2- Like it? Next: SG2 - what's it like?

FT-Improved hulls & armour

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 14:51:23 -0000
Subject: FT-Improved hulls & armour

Charles Taylor wrote-

>For instance, a cheap hull material could cost only 1 point per MASS,
>but only provides 1 hull box per 2 MASS of structure, while an
expensive
>hull material could cost 3 points per MASS, but provides 2 hull boxes
>per 1 MASS of structure. (the actual figures would need checking, these
>are just a quick guess).
>Likewise for armour.

Hmm. How about armour (or hull) made out of advanced matierials that
have a
armour (or hull) value of 1.2. The cost would be greater (ablative
armour
cost more that steel), but the mass the same, say a cost of x4 mass. The
PSB
could be that the armour is made out of advanced matirials, or has a
superconducting layer added below the outer layer. This superconduting
layer
would radiate the energy (heat, high energy particals etc) evenly over
the
entire hull, reducing the burn through of the hull, making the ship
tougher
(thinking of the hulls on ships in the moat around murchinsons eye(2nd
motie
novel)). The hull could be the same PSB, but with greater backups and
stronger hull materials, creating the effect of greater DP with the same
mass (but higher cost).

Come on, I`m waiting for this to be shot to bits<G>.

BIF
"yorkshire born,yorkshire bred,
strong in arms, thick in head"

Prev: RE: SG2- Like it? Next: SG2 - what's it like?