Prev: Re: OT-Wrong port arthur Next: RE: [DS] Unit Question

SG2-What's it like?

From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@b...>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 17:39:47 -0500
Subject: SG2-What's it like?

"Canieda Elgorn" <canieda_elgorn@hotmail.com> asked what SG2 was like...

Chocolate and Peanut butter together.... !!!!

Seriously, as one of the affirmed SG2 proponents, its a medium-speed
skirmish game that plays smoothly if you want it to, has elegant command
and
control rules, has the best use of unit quality I've seen in a game
system,
and models mission motivations well (if morale is a bit generous). It
plays
quickly, keeps both sides involved, and is easy to tinker with without
breaking the system. Its one difficulty is sometimes new people find it
hard
to balance scenarios because no points system exists. Forethought and a
bit
of experience pretty much cure this one though.

It easily gives itself to move and fire tactics and penalizes
warhammer-ish
charges (close assaults work, but best executed against an already
suppressed foe if you don't want riddled). And it is pretty much the
most
fun skirmish game I've played (and I've played a bunch).

As for figs, I buy from Nic in Oz, Jon in UK and KR in USA. All have
been
good to me, and I love to demo their products and pass out their cards
at
cons. Prices run about $2+ per figure, but there are some bulk discounts
(at
least Jon has platoon packs and I think the others might work you a deal
if
you order in bulk).

And the nicest part is Jon almost (not quite but close) treats this like
community effort or an open source venture. It doesn't give you the
GW/Microsoft "thou shalt do thus" feeling and the gamers in the
community
are genuinely interested in everyone at the table having a good time.
Not
too many munchkins here.  No point system does that....

Trust me, you won't regret it. BTW, if you're a Canuck, you might look
for
some local players. I know some in Victoria, Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa,
and
Kingston. We might be able to find some in other places....

Thomas R. S. Barclay
Voice: (613) 722-3232 ext 349
e-mail: tomb@bitheads.com

2001: To the New Millenium! The next thousand years
are MINE.

Prev: Re: OT-Wrong port arthur Next: RE: [DS] Unit Question