Prev: FT-Targeting beacons Next: Re: [FT] Nanite Colony (was: Devourers)

OT-Wrong port arthur

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 17:19:21 -0000
Subject: OT-Wrong port arthur

Beth wrote-

>Given where we live that would've been ironic (Port Arthur the ex-penal

>colony and sight of Australia's worst modern day massacre being about
90
>kms away).

No, wrong port arthur. This port arthur was the sight of the russian
navel base for the pacific/asia area. It was situated at the base of the
korean peninsular, and was part of where the chineese gun their buts
whiped by the russians & japs. The japs took the korian peninsular to
protect the homeland, and prevent invasion of the japanise islands. The
russians were expanding into asia, and came into conflict with the japs,
who attacked the base, sinking 3 rrussian warships, and blockading the
rest of the fleet. The russians sent the black sea fleet (I think,
anybody want to clarify?) around africa to break the blockade (a 7 month
jurney), and had to pass the jap islands somehow to reach port arthur.
They chose the direct route, and when the 2 fleets met, the japs were
using new armour piercing shels, even though outnumbered by russian BB,
sank everything in the russian fleet except 3 ships, for only a couple
of torpedo boats lost! The figures were 5 thousand dead, same again
captured on the russian side, and 120 to 150 dead on the jap side. Now
you understand why the japs are so proud of this sea battle, it was an
even greater victory than admeral nelsons. If I`ve got anything wrong in
this, I`m sure someone will correct me.

BIF
"yorkshire born,yorkshire bred,
strong in arms, thick in head"

PS-Or were you just extracting the urine, and knew the answer?<G>

Prev: FT-Targeting beacons Next: Re: [FT] Nanite Colony (was: Devourers)