Prev: Mech Cavalry and Holy Bats Next: Re: Mech Cavalry and Holy Bats

Re: [OT] another modelling Q

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 20:26:30 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT] another modelling Q

On Fri, 02 Feb 2001 09:34:49 +1100, Beth Fulton
<beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au>
wrote:

>OK I've got a question for you modelling whizzos. Can anyone recommend
>fairly fume free epoxies and putties that are still OK for modelling?
My
>asthma means that most of them are just about out and out lethal for me

>(even with surgeons/sanders mask). This means that all my scratch
building
>has come down to figuring out ways I can use miliput, yellow-tak
(blue-tak,
>wall-tak or whatever its called in you neck of the woods) and super
glue
>gel. This has been surprisingly effective, but I'm getting a bit more
>ambitious now.

Hey, Beth.

I've got asthma as well, but mine is allergy based. I know how you feel,
though.

I haven't found any glues that are fume free. I think most of them have
some
sort of petroleum base and give off nasty fumes. Zap super glue isn't
bad, but
it's not fume free.

Have you thought of making a fume hood? I think you can buy them, though
not
sure where (maybe a building supply house, definitely a chemical supply
place
but not sure if you're near one). You could make one with a stove fan
mounted
in a wooden box. I have a gas stove and the fan is enough to pull the
natural
gas fumes up through the filter. Filtered air could be good enough, or
you may
have to run a hose out a window or something. At any rate, a powerful
enough
fan will pull the fumes up and away from you. You may have to build a
glass
front so that there is a glass pain between you and what you're working
on.

If you ask around you'll probably find others have done much the same
thing,
usually for paints.

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,
   "Jack B. Quick, Boy Inventor"

Prev: Mech Cavalry and Holy Bats Next: Re: Mech Cavalry and Holy Bats