Prev: Re: [FH] St^3 Jon on target again Next: Re: [FH] St^3 Jon on target again

Re: [FH] St^3 Jon on target again

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 19:49:22 EST
Subject: Re: [FH] St^3 Jon on target again

On Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:32:31 +1100 Beth Fulton
<beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au> writes:
<snip>

>We're thinking something more on the scale of the REALLY big plagues
>and
>famines of the past (i.e. not restricted to localised effects but will
>
>impact upon very large % of the human population). Our recent history
>(particularly the last 100 years) have actually been incredibly mild
>with
>regard to serious epidemics, famines, weather events (I know they say
>"hottest day on record" etc, but the records aren't that long!),
>geological
>events etc etc. So it can be a bit hard to accept that the wars and
>stuff
>we have seen in the past 100 years are child's play to the kind of
>major
>upheaval we can see - or at least the kind we can create in models ;)
>
>Just to brighten your day
>
>Beth

Beth, I work for the DOD/Intelligence community.  This kind of talk is
considered either 'optimist' or 'middle of the road' stuff.  Saint John
of Revelation (Apocalypse) fame would feel right at home with some of my
co-workers.

But, we've been wrong (sorry, events deviated from expectations) before.

And when you give a best case, worst case, and 'in-between' case it's
hard to miss it completely - but we do sometimes.  Okay, more then
sometimes.

Fortunately I am just a Regional Analyst - a 'beneath notice' level of
the 'community' (gag!) that I did not want ever to be a member of.  We
got drug in screaming when NIMA (we were DMA before merger) was
'hatched'.  I have a boring job but it pays well.  At least I am no
longer a 'cartographer' - something the 'real' Intelligence guys
consider
to be 'drawers of pretty pictures very much inferior to an image' level
[but candidates for buy outs!!!]

Gracias, Glenn/Triphibious
You don't have to be French to be a 'frog', or even human!
Nektons - Real Marines!
Starguard, Dirtside 2,	Ratner's Space Marines, Stellar Conflicts
and Uprisings, and Full Thrust/2nd.  Resistance is everything!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Prev: Re: [FH] St^3 Jon on target again Next: Re: [FH] St^3 Jon on target again