Prev: Re: [FT] FTSC 1.5 Next: Re: [FT] All them new fancy weapon stats

Re: FT-HET Laers

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 22:08:40 +0100
Subject: Re: FT-HET Laers

Allan Goodall wrote:

>>For the non-mechanically minded in the audience, what would be the
>>PSB for something that can ignore armour??

[snip]

>Another option is perhaps a space equivalent of a squash head round.
>Something that slams into the armour, does not penetrate, but >causes
a shockwave that knocks around stuff inside or sends >shrapnel flying
on the inside hull (there's a term for this, spalling or >something
like that, that Oerjan will no doubt mention).

Nope; I didn't have to ;-)

The problem with such damage effects is that it is almost completely
negated by using a double hull. The outer hull needs to be strong
enough that the round doesn't penetrate; the spalling then occurs
between the two hulls where it causes minimal or no damage.

My favourite "stopped by screens but not by armour" is a "generic EMP"
direct-fire weapon - call them "Ion Cannon", "Minbary Wonder Beam" or
whatever (yes, I *know* Star Wars Ion Cannon aren't affected by beams,
but the MT EMP missiles are) - doesn't inflict *any* hull or armour
damage, but takes out random weapons and other systems.

Another fun system is the Star Trek-style transporters, used to beam
boarding parties onto the target vessel - any Trekkie knows that
transporters don't work through shields! Requires better boarding
combat rules than those in MT though :-/

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: [FT] FTSC 1.5 Next: Re: [FT] All them new fancy weapon stats