Prev: [FT] Various Screens; was Re: Kinetic Shield Next: [FT] Weapons/Defense Systems Archive

Re: Yes Sheild/No Armor Weapons; Kinetic sheilds; Weapon Archive

From: Charles Stanley Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 18:55:04 GMT
Subject: Re: Yes Sheild/No Armor Weapons; Kinetic sheilds; Weapon Archive

In message <6B3C0EEAB4FED3119F5F009027DC5E9EA9AD88@spacemsg3.jhuapl.edu>
	  "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@jhuapl.edu> wrote:

> Karl Heinz wrote
>
> >Not a specific comment about your suggestion, but ...
> >I get the impression that a lot of the new weapons suggested or
ofiicially
> >introduced over the years ignore shields, slowly making shields
useless.
> How
> >about some weapons that are affected by shields, but do ignore armor
or
> >other protection ?
>
> Some stuff Dean Gundberg and I talksd about quite a while ago might
fit this
> bill:
>
> Graviton Beams - Each point of energy used gives 1 d6 to roll (like
EFSB
> HBW) with a -1 modifier per each portion of 8" range (0-8" -1, 8-16"
-2,
> 16-24" -3, 24-32" -4, 32-40" -5), 6's get a re-roll.	Each level of
screens
> on the target ship is a -1 modifer on damage roll (no modifier for
screens
> on re-rolls).  Grav beam penetrates armor after one armor box is hit
(like
> K-guns). PSB is the Grav Beam damages the whole ship by molecular
shear.
> Mass 3 +1/arc (max 3 arcs), Cost 3pts/mass
>
> Other grave wepons would use the same armor-skipping PSB of a "ship
shaking"
> type attack (like the (shudder) SFB Andromedan T/R beam)
>
> Another idea is similar to Brendan's Mind Control Lasers - but I
thought of
> it as a telepathic attack, either from a PSI-corps type setup or a
> telepathic race. Different dynamic but similar concept. Sheilds
disrupt the
> attack, armor is ignored. Attacks differ from telepathic control of
crew
> (for "boarding action" combat) to telekenetic control (or disruption
of
> control) of the ship.

[snip]

Yet another idea surfaces from my memory - and this one is _nasty_

The Scrambler Beam (more Über alien tech)

Using advanced transmition techniques and information theory, this
weapon disables opponents systems by transmitting cross-platform viral
memes into the computer systems.

In essence - a _toned down_ FT write up of a Ian M. Banks effector
system.

Game Mechanics:
A FC must be dedicated to the use ofthis weapon, the firing player
designates a single system on the target ship (like firing Needle
Beams, but longer range).
Roll a number of dice equal to the the class of the Scrambler Beam, -1
per full 12 mu of range.
Count the dice as beam dice, screens & vapour shrouds apply as usual.
Any damage indicates that the system is knocked out (can be repaired as
normal)

The nasty bit - this thing can target core systems (which are treated as
having an extra level of screens) - the severity of the damage to the
core is based on the damage done - ie. bridge hit knocks out bridge for
1 turn per dp.

Very Nasty, and difficult to cost :-)

Prev: [FT] Various Screens; was Re: Kinetic Shield Next: [FT] Weapons/Defense Systems Archive