Prev: [SG, DS] Logistics (was: Powered Armor!) Next: FT-Command & control

re:SG2 close assault

From: "David Reeves" <davidar@n...>
Date: 25 Jan 2001 09:56:44 -0500
Subject: re:SG2 close assault

comments inserted in *****.

Dave

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:56:15 -0500
From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@bitheads.com>
Subject: SG2 close assault

Some thoughts about possible things to tighten up CA/CC:

- - modifier (when you fight) to the die type the defender uses if he's
outnumbered (ie numbers against you do count)

*****
I would also say that the reverse is true.  if the defender outnumbers
the attacker, the attacker
die type is reduced.  this covers situations where foolish (or
desperate, surprised) small
squads overrun larger ones, or a small PA squad CAs a larger non-PA
squad.
*****

- - an assaulted side's activation is consumed (I think DS2 does this)
even if
it hasn't acted (motto: don't be on the receiving end)

- - limit of one pursuit/retreat, both are rolled as combat moves (Yes,
SG2
troops aren't moving very fast at 120m per turn - could be a minute,
could
be 5, common thought was 2 mins I thought), but if you are restricting
normal movement, retreat movement should be scaled similarly and one
combat
move is more than fair.)

fully agree on one retreat/pursuit.  I like both sides using combat
moves as it has the full range
of escape/caught choices, reflecting the uncertainties and stress of CA.

- - if you retreat, at the end of your retreat movement, I'd say you
make a
leadership role (perhaps modified by the same odds-modifier that was
used
when the close assault was launched). If you make it, your troops can
pull
up, even though they are disorganized. Yes, your activation is gone (due
being CA'd), but if your commander reactivates you, you can reorg and
then
try to shoot the enemy. If you fail, your troops must spend their next
action retreating and then they can halt to and reorg.

*****
okay, this seems reasonable, but does the retreating squad face away or
toward the pursuer
if the "halt" roll succeeds???	or does the facing change occur during
"ReOrg"?
*****

- - singly suppressed units may retreat. Multiply suppressed units (2-3
suppressions) MAY NOT retreat - they are just too heavily pinned to get
up
and bug out.

*****
since I have been struggling with implementing a "Disengage" order, I
like it.  this allows units
to retreat and change their angle of attack when they bump into
unexpected enemy positions
or are getting mauled by superior forces.
*****

<essentially, if you are being chased by an enemy and you broke away
from
them and they are behind you chasing you, it might be very difficult for
you
to draw up the fleeing force to pull a fast one on the guys chasing
you....>

- - overwatch and reaction fire should be in place in the rules to allow
units
to engage enemies trying CA/CC in foolhardy ways

*****
yep.
*****

- - close combat can be engaged if unit centre-centre is within
ATTACKER_UNIT_QUALITY/2". Thus a regular unit would have a 4" range
centre-to-centre. This probably equates to about 2" or less between unit

figures in many situations. Yes, untrained might have a tough time, but
the
truth is, they probably should....

*****
I gotta think/playtest this one....
*****

- - A unit that is close assaulted and takes casualties should have a
suppression counter at the end. One that retreats after taking
casualties
should have a suppression PLUS be disorganized.

*****
seems reasonable to me.
*****

That's my 0.02. I'm probably gonna try some of these soon. Close assault

done right (against a suppressed foe) is an excellent coup de grace -
they
can't flee due to the fire, and they can't execute final defensive fire.

They might even already have casualties. Executed versus a unit with a
bunch
of other nearby unactivated friendly units - none of which are
suppressed -
should be a recipe for getting the attacking squad cut to ribbons.

It's all in the timing.

*****
right.	CA should not be the first option, unless it is a racial
characteristic.  it should be one of
the last.  therefore, the design should reflect this -- trying to
encourage units to carry thru with
CA whether attack or defense.
*****

Dave

Prev: [SG, DS] Logistics (was: Powered Armor!) Next: FT-Command & control