Prev: Re: [FT] Accelerated Play Next: Favorite Campaign Format - A question?

[FT] Self-Playtesting Scenarios

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <s_schoon@p...>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 17:21:37 -0800
Subject: [FT] Self-Playtesting Scenarios

Hi All!

As it's sort of quiet around here, I thought I'd share a few thoughts.

So you've got your new scenario all written up, but are lacking
either a regular gaming group or time before your gem needs to be
perfected.

Playtest it yourself, using counters (blank wargame counters are
readily and cheaply available) and a small table using a small MU
scale.

You can either roll all the dice yourself, or you can assume median
damage for each shot (i.e. 1 beam die does 0.8 points of damage
against an unscreened target). I like the median damage thing because
it evens out the "hot/cold dice" factor, and gives you what the
average player would achieve. Make a chart of various weapons at
range and keep it at hand!

Make sure to play both sides to the best of your ability - NO
FAVORITES. This can be really hard to do. Most people secretly want
one side to win. Avoid this at all costs. Remember, the closer you
get to a tie, the better balanced your scenario. If you have time,
try STUPID things; if they work, you need to rethink things (after
all, this is how the GEV defense in OGRE was born!).

Make sure to play more than once (more is better). Using the above
techniques, you can crank out a full game in no time flat. This
allows to to try different tactics, different forces, etc.

Toodles,

Prev: Re: [FT] Accelerated Play Next: Favorite Campaign Format - A question?