Prev: RE: First mini pics for Gropos Next: Re: Spaaaaaace Patrol!

Wherein the Beast displays simplistic thinking Re: Spaaaaaace Patrol!

From: devans@u...
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:09:03 -0600
Subject: Wherein the Beast displays simplistic thinking Re: Spaaaaaace Patrol!

***
As it turns out, it requires much less energy to re-direct an
asteroid in the outer solar system than it takes to re-direct
one that is in the asteroid belt.  Simple orbital mechanics:
asteroids in the outer solar system move more slowly.  So it requires
less delta-V to alter the orbit from a circular one to an
elliptical orbit.
***

Er, how far out are you looking? By Uranus, you have an orbital period
of
84 years, beyond Pluto, greater than 250.

Even admitting that the redirected object only has to make a half or
less
orbit, and that it will be picking up 'speed' as it closes with the
target,
it would STILL be a generational project. Given that a low energy
approach
sounds like a slow spiral in, beginning with several near current
orbits,
we're talking eons.

All the while, the target is blithely waiting, sitting on it's hands,
unable to come up with a way to, not put it back in original orbit, but
merely nudge it to miss.

But I'm not a scientist, so I'll await the obvious-to-all-but-me flaws
in
my thinking.

The_Beast

-Douglas J. Evans, curmudgeon

One World, one Web, one Program - Microsoft promotional ad

Prev: RE: First mini pics for Gropos Next: Re: Spaaaaaace Patrol!