Prev: Re: Questions on cloaking (bit long) Next: Re: [FT] proposed IF ships

Re: [FT] Asteroid Collisions

From: Richard Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 20:52:49 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Asteroid Collisions

Sean Bayan Schoonmaker wrote:

> >I would suggest going for an 'avoidance' roll.
>
> I was going to avoid that whole can of worms and just say that the
> collision had already occurred. I'm just looking at damage.
>
> Schoon

The collision damage depends on three things:
1) How massive is the ship, ships with more mass take more damage
(although they usually have more damage points).  The damage is caused
by the change in momentum, and larger ships have more momentum.

2) How fast the ship is going.	The faster ship has more momentum than a
slower ship.  The higher speeds also increase the energy of the
collision.

3) Finally, the ability of the ship to evade the damage.

I vote that the damage be k*mass*(V/u)^2/(drive rating), where k and u
are scaling constants (I suggest 0.1 each).  Round up to the nearest
integer, and roll that many dice.  One thing that drops out is that
driveless ships are destroyed.

I would suggest that if you are using the plotting option, and project
the next movement, if coasted, to help planning, that ships that hit
asteroids are destroyed, as they know that it is coming (if asteroids
are less than one mu accross).

I recommend plotting movement on paper anyway, as it gives players
something the ships would have, and it makes salvo missiles independant
of a player's spatial perception.

Prev: Re: Questions on cloaking (bit long) Next: Re: [FT] proposed IF ships