Prev: Re: [FT] AAR and Re: RE-[FT] Starfire... Next: Re: [FT] Con Force Sheets

Re: FT-Airless bodies

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: 10 Jan 2001 08:06 GMT
Subject: Re: FT-Airless bodies

See Nyrath's answer about beam range modifiers in general. However, I
think he missed the point that you wanted know what the _difference_
would be between a beam shot through an athmosphere and one shot from an

airless body. To answer that: beams shot from a moon can be treated as
beams shot from a spaceship. If you have a free line-of-sight to the
target,
the only difference would be the effect of gravity and that is
negligible. (unless you are shooting from a Neutron star or Black Hole
;-)

> How much of a modifier would have to be used on SML`s/missiles to
> represent the power used to climb out of a gravity well, which would
> be smaller on a airless body as opposed to out of a larger gravity
> well for a atmosphere planet, and how much would have to be used to
> overcome the atmosphere it`self (or would the atmophere be a >
neglible compair to the gravity well?).

> What would be the requirements for fighters climbing out of a small >
gravity well, on a airless body?

These would depend critically on the size of the planet and the density
of the athmosphere, and, frankly, I don't know the formulas for dealing
with athmospheric resistance.

If you want to keep it simple in game terms, you could argue that
missilles and fighters taking off from a planet or moon are equipped
with
extra boosters or drop tanks that provide enough energy to reach free
space. Thus, they could be treated exactly like any other missiles or
fighters.

Greetings

Prev: Re: [FT] AAR and Re: RE-[FT] Starfire... Next: Re: [FT] Con Force Sheets