Prev: Re: [FT] Wave Gun (was: OU & IC & FB3) Next: Re: [FT] Wave Gun (was: OU & IC & FB3)

Re: [OT/DSII] Re: Shermans and Panthers

From: Richard Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 12:23:42 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT/DSII] Re: Shermans and Panthers

devans@uneb.edu wrote:

> The main advantages I heard mentioned were FM radios in almost every
German
> tank, while only Russians had the inferior AM, and superior optics in
the
> Germans.

Actually the Germans had very, very good AM radios, while the Russians
had
none, except for some poor AM sets and a handful of good lend-lease FM
sets

> On the American, and perhaps Brit side, I seem to recall a quote of a
> surviving panzer commander: I could always kill their tanks 10-to-1,
but
> they would always come up with an eleventh.

The truth may be even wierder, the supply problems at the front for the
germans
were such that; although they could reliably destroy every sherman that
came
into view, there were more shermans than anti-tank rounds.

The Avalon Hill solitaire game "Patton's Best" teaches a very stern
lesson to
M4 (not Firefly) commanders-- Do not fire upon german tanks, it only
draws

Prev: Re: [FT] Wave Gun (was: OU & IC & FB3) Next: Re: [FT] Wave Gun (was: OU & IC & FB3)