Prev: Re: Co-operative games? Next: Re: Co-operative games?

Re: New on the list

From: Jonathan white <jonw@n...>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 10:26:46 +0000
Subject: Re: New on the list

KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de wrote:
> I guess Alan is slightly confused here. You need the basic Full Thrust
> book. Fleet Book 1 alone does not give a full game. I would recommend
> getting both at the same time, then pick a limited set of basic rules
> that you feel comfortable with and start playing.
I know in the UK GZG do some very good deals on 'rule books plus two
beginner fleets of ships' in a bundle. Don't know if the other countries
sellers do the same, but it would be worth checking.

> What I think you should adopt:
> The ship design rules and weapon arc rules from FB2
I don't know if a beginner should get straight into ship design until
they know what the various bits do :). I'd play a few simple games
(cinematic movement, simple weaponry etc) before getting into design. I
do prefer the fire arc rules from FB though - I think it's FB1 rather
than FB2 mind. FB1 would probably be very useful in that it gives you a
lot of ship variants to play with while you are learning.

> Which of the two movement type options, 'cinematic' as in FT or
> 'vector' as in FB2 is entirely up to you. 'Cinematic' is more like
spaceships
> move in the films, basically like airplanes. 'Vector' is more
'realistic'
> in that a ship can turn to face any desired direction even if
> travelling in another direction.
As I said, better to start with cinematic IMO until you get the hang of
the game mechanic then try out the vector. Unless you have some reason
to do a lot of vector mechanics in other parts of your life and are used
to the concept.

				TTFN
					Jon

-- Working in a Digital Industry with an Analogue Brain --

Prev: Re: Co-operative games? Next: Re: Co-operative games?