Prev: re: [DS2} Basing infantry Next: RE: strike the colors rule

RE: [FT] Wave Gun (was: OU & IC & FB3)

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:27:22 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT] Wave Gun (was: OU & IC & FB3)

You have the arc WAY too wide for the current wave gun. It is 2mu
wide for the first 12mu, 3mu for the 2nd, and 4mu wide for the 3rd.
So the wave is only 6 or 7 degrees wide (much smaller than a
clock face, let alone a whole arc) if it were a true arc. Its actual
expansion is about 3 degrees if you measure from the outside edge
of the starting point to the outside edge of the end point.

If Wave Guns are updated (and hopefully classed), I would like to
see it be a true cone shape (measure from firing ship to max
distance +/- Xmu from centerline).

Classed Wave Gun [untested]
Range:		     12mu range bands (RB)
# RB:		     1xClass
Terminal Cone Width: 2xClass in mu (about 13 degrees)
Damage: 	     Class number of d6 actual to anything caught
		     in the damage cone, reduce 1d6 per RB
Arc:		     This is a spinal mount weapon. It fires only
		     in a straight line ahead of the ship.
Mass:		     2^(Class)
Cost:		     Mass * 3
Recharge:	     Must charge to 2xClass to fire. May fire
		     as lower class if partially charged. Roll
		     1d6 per turn to charge; result is amount
		     of charge added.
Collateral Damage:   If damaged by threshold check or destroyed
		     by a needle weapon, it does damage equal to
		     the charge it held when hit.
Restrictions:	     When fired, screens/shields/shrouds in the
		     front arc are negated until the end of the
		     turn. No other restrictions.

Class Mass Cost #RB Term Width RB1 Damage  Needed Charge
  1	2    9	 1	2mu	 1d6		 2
  2	4   12	 2	4mu	 2d6		 4
  3	8   24	 3	6mu	 3d6		 6
  4    16   48	 4	8mu	 4d6		 8