Prev: Re: Suggestions and Advice Solicited! Next: RE: DSII: Primative Tech...

Re: strike the colors rule

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 19:04:27 -0800
Subject: Re: strike the colors rule

> On Tue, 02 January 2001, GBailey@aol.com wrote:
>
> > No, no, a thousand times no. I hate this rule. This is not the
> > wooden ships and iron men era. How many ships "struck their
colors" in WW1 &
> > WW2?

I wouldn't necessarily play it as "stike" but I would have morale
effects, at least as an option.  I'd make it about the same as a Core
Systems roll--if the ship loses its morale and has a reasonable
prospect of getting away, it tries to break contact.  In a campaign
game with crew quality, I'd add or subtract a DRM based on the
captain's rating, and allow an Admiral to try to rally his ships.  You
could also put it situational modifiers--Desperate Defense of Home is
more likely than Patrol The Spaceways to generate a "to-the-last-man"
mentality.
  This would be a convenient way to help balance campaign games, which
otherwise tend towards "build ships, take the other guy's resources
and build more ships" snowball effect.	 As you take over more and
more of the other guy's territory, his units keep increasing their
willingness to stand fast, while yours keep getting more open to the
idea of withdrawing.

Prev: Re: Suggestions and Advice Solicited! Next: RE: DSII: Primative Tech...