Prev: Re: Islamic Federation, was Re: [FT] OU & IC & FB3 Next: [FT] Defending with SMLs

Islamic Federation, was Re: [FT] OU & IC & FB3

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 08:25:45 -0800
Subject: Islamic Federation, was Re: [FT] OU & IC & FB3

AEBrain said:
Who's gonna do what? Rather than decide by having a vote, asking the
estimable Jon etc, I suggest that anyone who wants to can have a
crack. The rules are
as follows: a) You must write some PHB (Pseudo-Historical as opposed
Pseudo-Scientific) about the navy in question, much as in FB1.

No problem for the Islamic Fed, I'm just waiting for Jon to create the
rest of the mini's.

IF ships usually have:
- about 20-25% hull (to reflect less Damage Control training than,
say, a NAC crew)
- 5-10% armor
- thrust at least 4, usually 6
- FTL only on capital units (increase points cost by 10% if fighting a
one-off battle)
- 4 or more PDS, plus ADFC on most units
- weapons are usually B2, B3, or SMR
- fighters are usually on CV's rather than BB's; the CV's are supposed
to avoid combat as much as possible

This is the IF built ships--the Navy also has a number of units of FSE
and ESU origin which were donated after the Party of Righteousness
overthrew a corrupt and apostate regime.  (The ESU was a bit confused
as to the difference between "donation" and "bribe", which is why
there is now enmity between the two nations).  The Sultan is also the
Protector of the Khalif (and since a majority of the Faithful will not
agree on an error, that in itself shows that the figurehead of the
Saeed rabble is a schismatic heretic).
Military service is compulsory; most of the crew volunteer for naval
service if only to avoid the army.  Crew accomodations are spartan and
crew education is fairly limited--it works about the way the Soviet
navy worked, with petty officers and officers doing most of the
technical work--but morale is high and IF ships are quite aggressive.

Paint scheme is a bluish green with markings as yet to be determined.

Nathan said:
> Finally, just to throw a new idea into the FB3 pot, has
> anyone considered IF suicide crews in the past?

Every game.  IF ships go *pop* fairly easily, especially the smaller
ones.

> These would not need to roll a 6 to ram, but would
> only be found on very small vessels

Then what's the point?	If the target's course is predictable enough
for a ram, it's predictable enough to drop SMR on it.

However, I did design a one-hull-box, mass 8 stingboat, usually armed
with 2 needles or 4 submunitions.  A swarm of these should encourage
other players to take  FF and DD instead of just sticking with
capitals, and I think a stingboat would qualify as a "suicide unit"
even if they don't intentionally crash into the target.

Prev: Re: Islamic Federation, was Re: [FT] OU & IC & FB3 Next: [FT] Defending with SMLs